Sunday 18 July 2010

Queen of pipetting

Time really flies in my dear lab, yet another week has passed.

This week all that actin that was purified last week came to good use. The actin was used in several ATPase assays together with myosin, tropomyosin and troponin. Simply explained the ATPase assays are a way of checking the activity of a muscle. The aim is to repeat the assays but with combinations of mutated tropomyosin to see if there is a difference in activity. This difference hopefully explaining different muscle myophaties which is the whole aim with my project.

The assays run this week were mostly practice. In theory it is a simple experiment but in practice you need to be very detailed and good at PIPETTING. If there is one thing I have done this week it is just that, pipetting. I calculated that in one day I pipetted 140 times. Now that gives some thumb cramp. But this weekend my thumb has been on ice so I'm all ready to go tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment